It's that time again! We all know September is coming and another school year will be beginning. I hope this post brings some excitement to you as we all prepare to make a difference in the lives of our students.
We are entering year two of the 1-1 Learning Environment. All 10th, 11th and 12th graders will be reminded to bring their Chromebooks with them on the first day. The 9th graders will be receiving their Chromebooks on August 30 at 10am during our first 9th Grade Orientation, which will be run by members of the National Honor Society.
I am keeping the same goal/mindset that I had last year when talking about the learning environment.
Goal: Create opportunities for our students where learning is truly meaningful and powerful for them!
Mindset: Build a RELATIONSHIP with your students. It all starts when the teacher creates an environment that facilitates learning, motivates students and connect with them as individual learners!
Summer Blog Post from The WHS Principal's Blog
Opening 2 Days
Please take a look at the agenda for the first two days. There is time set aside for Google PD, content area PD and time for personal, self-directed PD. Please bring your charged Chromebook on Thursday.
Faculty Manual (Please take time to review the manual)
To access the manual you need to be logged in to your waldwickschools.org account
We have one new teacher joining us this year, as well as a friendly face returning. Very excited to have both of them joining our team.
Rachel Dillon - Language Arts
Paul Puglise - Physics (Leave Replacement)
The building looks great and is ready to go. What's new and updated:
- Painting around the building
- New drop ceilings and LED lighting were installed in the hallway outside the Media Center and down to Room 309.
- The district is moving forward with a new phone/communication system for all four schools. In September all rooms will have phones installed, which will be used to communicate with the main office. This system will enhance our school safety protocols by improving our ability to communicate throughout the building.
- Room 310 received a makeover with the removal of the center presentation table and a wall full of cabinets. Whiteboards were installed all around the room to help facilitate the 360 math concept.
- Three classrooms (141, 143, 145) will be getting new furniture. Continuing with the mindset of "It's all about the Learning Environment," these desks will all be on wheels to help make the learning room more flexible and conducive to an active learning environment.
- The transformation of the Media Center Computer Lab into an Innovation Station. The room has been completely gutted. Ceiling tiles have been taken down and we exposed the high ceiling and duct work. We painted the ceiling black and it looks so good. Walls have been primed and will be painted before September. This lab will have an open feel with flexible furniture that can be moved around to fit the needs of the learners. This is going to be a great space for thinking, designing, creating, trying... then failing and trying again (Isn't that how we learn outside of school). The renovation will be completed by the end of September.
- For the inside courtyard, we have taken out some the hedges and opened up the space. Six new picnic tables have been ordered for students and staff to enjoy. We are also refinishing the benches that are out there for more seating.
- Another outdoor location that I am calling "The Corner" (Area outside the staircase that heads down to the Boy's Locker Room - by Room 313/310) will also get new picnic tables (5) and we will be refinishing the benches so students and staff can utilize the space during lunch.
Links/ResourcesMaster Schedule 16-17 - By Dept and room utilization
Safe Schools - Reminder there are 10 courses that need to be completed by 9/16
Personnel Records - In case of emergencies it's important we have this info
Registration of Automobile - Only for new staff or if you have changed cars
Opening of School Info 16-17 - Blog post for Students and Parent from The WHS Principal's Blog
Aides Schedule 16-17 SY
Back to School Night - Wednesday, September 14
September Learning and Collaboration Time - September 21 (Focus will be on 80/20 Time)
All classrooms are ready so if you want to stop by over the next few weeks, feel free. Enjoy the remainder of the summer and don't stress about September. I am looking forward to a fun and exciting year! #OwnitWHS